The challenge: Build a high performance team culture
A global resource company, implementing a new underground mine, engaged Global Learning at start-up stage to create a team-based culture focused on personal responsibility, support for others and a shared vision of success. It wanted to do more with less in a strongly unionised work environment, often cynical about management’s motivation.The program needed to build trust, honesty and fairness within teams and between management and workers. A key measurement of program success was to have individuals, teams and leaders own this vision with conclusive, visible actions.
- Staff turnover: 4% compared with an industry average of 15%
- Absenteeism: 7% compared with an industry average of 16%
- Lost time: 1 lost time injury in four years!
- Best practice: 30 visitors per week from other organisations to study best practices
- Awards: National Site Safety Audit: special mention, culture; National Mine Rescue: Runners-up.